Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"we've all got our demons"




Casual conversations have lately been beginning more and more with the question "how ya doin?" Seems average/causal enough. However, whenever I'm asked, it feels like I'm supposed to over think my answer, as if someone is really looking for my story.

Lately, I find myself ending my pause- my moment of deep consideration of what to say and what to leave out - with 2 and a half words... "Eh, I'm alive". Some times I take out the colloquial interjection (assuming thats what "eh" really is) and just leave it at "i'm alive". Both work I suppose. I mean, its obviously not a lie. I never really mean it to sound as apathetic as I'm sure it does. In fact, though I don't necessarily mean it in this way either, its a relatively positive answer. It may just be a simple way of saying "okay" or "not too bad". It also has the power to say that though things could certainly be better, they could most definitely be a whole hell of a lot worse.

Although, it could just be an excuse. If the answer isn't "really good" I always just figure nobody is really looking to get bummed out with a more thoughtful answer. It started out, of course, as just another way of saying "hi".

No comments: