Sunday, March 9, 2008

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way."




I don't know what it is with me and jobs. I got an internship the other night, along with everyone else in my class. It was about an hour from my house, and an hour and a half from school. I rode my bike there one day, and completed my shift. The shift was pretty much just orientation, and everyone remained very disoriented throughout. I washed some screens, and cut some construction paper out, all the while wondering what the point was.

As I left, I rode my bike over a curb to cut through a elementary school parking lot. I was accosted by a busty but weathered middle aged teacher. She stopped me in my tracks, like a gatekeeper. She kept yelling. I couldn't understand a word she was saying, she threatened to call the cops. I still had no clue why. Then out of nowhere, the words cleared up. "Blah Blah Blah (30 seconds of silence...) FUCK". Did she really threaten to call the cops on me and then say "FUCK" in an elementary school parking lot in the presence of innocent ears? That was it. I was going to get this broad fired. I pounded on the locked door, demanding the security guard let me speak to the Principal. All-the-while she sat on the curb crying and begging for my forgiveness.

Eventually the front door opened, like the doors Xanadu for Charles Foster Kane, minus the theatrical lighting and sculptural collections. I was led down a long hall and told to go in "that door" where the principal was waiting to hear my indictment. He was in his late 30s, Ben Affleck's blow-bingeing twin brother I presume. He was short on time, it was casual friday and he had a happy hour to go to... and judging by the reminder scrawled up in left arm, he had a date. I make the assumption about the reminder being for a date because, honestly, why else would "blow me" be the sole entry in his epidermal calendar for this evening?

"Fuck" Screamer got fired. I had made a difference today. Not at work, but on the way home. Thanks to my act of good citizen-ish-ness the untainted ears of an entire generation of future leaders would not be subjected to such filth.

After all this is still managed to fit in some math problems. After a long period of working on it... I finally figured out that "If you work an 8 hour day, and you start at 5:15 am, (what time will you get off?)" you will get off at 1:15 pm. I was pretty shocked that after my long day i still had the reasoning skills to figure that one out.

5:15 tomorrow will find me tired from an hour bike ride and preparing to cut out more construction paper nonsense I presume. Saving the children can wait 'til a quarter after 1.

No comments: